29.2.08

On the Six Degrees of Separation

A new contact of mine related to me that her mother is, like me, married to a Lebanese person. Her mother is also a commentator on NPR, the Canadian Broadcasting System and Der Spiegel, the most liberal of all European news outlets. So it is another "LeBron" kickboxing moment in life....all the way over here in a dusty ghost town of no-renown (a little our'ville which is always known as our'ville)...I run into the famous. I am famous too, we are all famous in some way or another if we only take the time to look.

Judith Palmer Harik holds her PhD in political science, is the president of Metn University in Beirut and wrote a nice little book about "the party" as I always refer to it in missives and such:
http://www.judithpalmerharik.com/



Interesting lady and I hear she came to our'ville a year or two back to help folks comprehend between the lines.

Here is a review of her tome which can be purchased online at Amazon:
http://www.mepc.org/journal_vol12/0509_betts.asp

Ode to the Fight
(For Nelson Lebron)

We invented kickboxing, the ethical kind
where if you came home bloodier than the other guy
you weren't treated as well as the Athenians.
You took off your glasses and handed them over
to a brother or a best friend (if they weren't
your opponent), then the lions leapt
out of their cage and hair scattered
in the air while the crowd
was already thumb-upping

but not in your direction.
I am reminded that if I were born a boy
they would have named me Daniel.
Sometimes I wish it had been the case
but usually, I won anyway.
Ephesus a far away shore, the Bosphorus Blue.



Nelson Lebron's MySpace

No comments: