24.4.06

The Sound of Olatayo

I've known people who were passengers
on high-jacked planes.
They were assholes before they hit Libyan airspace
and probably still are.
I've seen a black man
come out of the sea
like an aborigine -
Mexican sand on his face
and hair twisted into tribal knots
a week after he stormed out
of the Que Pas, a community college diner
where I met Olatayo Sowandi too,
watched him and the other Nigerians
as they listened to the sound
of foreigner's eating.
Not a word between them
and I recall how sweet their silence was
when I was in it with them.
But Mahdi came out of the sea
and I remember how angry he was
when the Arabs at the table,
Saadi Sartawi and his big pipe, Faisal the Libyan, Wassim
the Palestinian brothel owner's kid from Egypt,
kept calling him Abed all the time
instead of just calling him
The Sudan-ee, because
he was not their slave, he was just
from Africa and knew
how to make an impression
when walking out of the sea at Kino Bay.

3 comments:

ozymandiaz said...

What an awesome write! Sharp, witty and unforgiving. An unapologetic dissertation of a moment in time. beautiful.

Carmenisacat said...

:( You are the only one to think so. I'll take the compliment though..thanks for always being 'here' for me. You are my one true fan. Everyone needs at least one reader (themself) and I have two! Well...I have friends of course but YOU are a reader, a real one!

That Mahdi...shoulda seen him that day. We were in Kino and didn't know he was also there with his friends on Spring Break. I was in the Arabs camp and they had latched onto a girl with a Jewish boyfriend named Ben. They were always with us after that, Ben and Cindy but only because the Arabs wanted into Cindy's delightful bikini ahhaha. Then all of a sudden we looked up and Here Comes the Mahdi hahaha. He was such a great fellow...always with a sly grin and always in on 'the inside joke' but not in on being called Abed.

And that couple in the hijacked plane...yea..they were awful. Worked with them sometimes in the ICUs at King Faisal Hospital in Riyadh. I can't think of two more appropriate people to get hijacked hahahaa.

And it is time for the morning prayer...I'll say a Fatih for your grandmother if you don't mind. And if you do...too bad. It's my right. The fatih is the first Sura in the Quran and is always recited for people who are dead or dying..in those states of transition. It sounds alot like the Lord's Prayer when translated into English.

Salaam.

ozymandiaz said...

Thank you Lilac. It is much apreciated.