12.4.06

Hankies and Shrouds

Yours has hers already ironfolded
on top the armoire. She looks at it
now and then. Washes it. Puts it back.

Mine had hankerchiefs. I have perhaps
a dozen of them in a safe place
where they won't get dirty anymore.

Yours isn't into keeping much about.
So much work and she is so old now.
The shroud is her only effort.

Mine is gone already so I have these left
to protect for a while longer. I give one
away when it is important to do so.
They still smell like her closets.

Yours is always complaining of her bad luck.
She isn't worried about what comes next,
she knows it. She tries it on now and then for practice.

Mine made peach cobbler and complained
all the time but not to me. I can hear that
from yours and mine was already very old anyway.
She knew what kind of history repeats itself.

Yours has little eyes behind magnifying lenses.
Mine had sunken ones too deep to sink into.

1 comment:

ozymandiaz said...

Thank you, Lilac. That is beautiful. I am truly touched. You seem quite the compassionate soul. And I really liked your next post, I likewise have seen science as a system of belief and for many a dogmatic religion.
As for the state of religious freedom in the United States we have far more than just Christians, we have Zionists and those people in the robes in the airports and Buddhists and the people who worship that elephant and the chick with all of the arms. Hey, we even have our own version of Islam in the "Nation of Islam". Granted they believe that one day a grand mothership is going to come down and kill all of the white devils but I'm sure all of that is in the Koran, right?