13.12.05

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls. - Paul Simon, The Sound of Silence

I was discussing with Samson Shillitoe regarding the existence of God and whatnots. As usual the conversation took a turn for the worse because Samson is Anti Bush and I am not. Read on:


But I am going to tell you...as a poet there is just nothing that compares to the series of signs you receive when in this state (on the verge of life changes). It is a bittersweet reunion with spirituality as always but don't knock it until you've tried it.

Not that brand(Christianity)...no of course not. Ridiculous and actually..I pity those that are left with the half truths of the Bible...it is a damn shame really. But in the end as long as they meander along with that and try to be faithful to what they believe in and do 'good works' then they still get a shot at the final show. Fence sitters and arrogants as well...special clauses JUST for them (or you as the case may be and no offense intended).

That brand though lost me when Jesus (Isa, (saw)) asked himself about himself on the cross not to mention the part where the devil tempted him with Las Vegas AND Amsterdam....can't tempt God you know. They lost me about right there or maybe it was at my mother's funeral...the priest walked by scenting us with his magical smells and I heard the ringy bells (alter boys, special effects) and said, "What on earth is going on here?" Could have been then.

So...to make a short story even longer and funnier....December 11 is a day that will go down in history for my son Ali. He shaved. Finally. I was so tired of the mixmatched facial hair and his dad filled with all those superstitious myths about shaving and what it might do to a boy (CHIA PET MENTALITY)...

But that isn't all that happened...no sirree. He also went to church yesterday for the first time...and worse yet...we had to sing in German (a charity function at the retarded school in Tyre) and even WORSE STILL...(I cannot believe I've contaminated my son in this way...) Worse still...the preacher was awoman. I'm nearly collapsed by now in the candlelit hall. I'm there and some guy behind me trying to indicate which song it is that they are on and I tell him I don't speak German and he keeps pointing to the hymn book...so I say, "Anyway I am a muslim." The usual reflection on HIS face...huh?

But this isn't really the whole story. My son passed so many landmarks yesterday we all agreed to put a special bookmark on December 11th...decided it was a REALLY BIG DAY for our family because....something FAR WORSE had happened in the morning...I should have stayed in bed you know.

On our way to Tyre I gassed up at a station-slash-liquor store.I needed something to drink. Banana milk specifically and Sarah ordered one for herself and Ali ordered a beverage...called FREEZE...and he wanted the green kind.So I go grab my two bananas and my green one and get in the car. Around the time we are halfway between Sidon and Beirut (on our way to church and shaving (in the evening)) my son declares from the back seat, "It's a BUZZ!"

Dear God in heaven. I almost went over the edge into the great big sea. You see...FREEZE is non alcoholic and BUZZ is the cousiin...same company and same bottle size/shape/beverage colors. I only grabbed a 'green one' in haste and ended up getting the poor sod loaded on vodka.Oh dear...by the time we reached Tyre he was asking for Chinese Food. Yes I said....that always happens.

No comments: