18.8.14

TERRIFIC

I hold now to nothing but Allah, bricks and dust,
the house empty and memory just a phase
in yet more phases while you sleep
unencumbered in your sociopathic haze.
Remember the day your boy got his leg
stuck in the fender of an ATV
and I turned and rolled in.
Near the camel souks of Riyadh,
his gasps and terror bled into the sand.
As I knelt by his pale wonderful body
and shushed him like the babe
to whom I’d given birth while you
entertained the nurse with stories
of a woman in stillbirth and her husband
threw the body in the morn into the well
saying, What baby? to her as she awoke,
I gasped and begged for the knife
and as he lay limp and lifeless there
near my worn out old form,
they pumped him full of nitrogen
for days as I woke and traveled to
and from the hospital where I tended
to drunks and drag queens,
there you were hanging onto
your strenuous gaps of good and evil.
And you twisted your face
as you watched me pull his leg free,
inspect his chest where he’d landed
and you complained about my calm
demeanor and I knelt near his
pale wonderful body, his natural grace,
the only peace I’ve ever known
with your species was at his side
in the afternoon naps.
He and I read the Hobbit over a course
of a week or two, Charlotte’s Web

left us weeping and alone. 

No comments: