27.8.09

The Fundamentalist

Before you hear otherwise, this sets the pace
for all the words that follow, in the name of
the unactionable inscrutable infallible
take your tickets and burn the fields
in preparation for the interrogation
there won't be any survivors, no last
apology will be spoken and the machine
is on rewind not play. It won't do.
My master hasn't told us the whole
story, just certain parts that fit just so
this giant puzzle called in the beginning.
I don't want to give it away but fact of the matter
is, I can't although I've really tried hard.
Tried coaxing and combining, excercising,
tried fooling and bullying but those deaf ears
keep listening to bull dozers and scrap men.
Ay Caramba! Ay Caramba!
This is the pace, the speed of light
folds up neatly on a pin, keeps shining
but for some reason, the engine won't turn over.
For some reason we keep talking about the weather,
keep talking about the sin of repetition
play it again boy, play it once again
how many weeks before the fiesta?
It's true what the master said then,
they just won't give a damn and don't
bother wasting your time on them.
I didn't he said, I just told them to be careful,
no touch ups and forgone conclusions,
and then they did what people usually do.
They took for granted that I kept it simple,
thought it meant I was playing games
with their angles and plots, imagined
that they could imagine me! Imagine that!
There isn't a contradiction in me, not even
a definition to which a contrary might apply
but that's beyond the pace of this lecture,
beyond the pace of most minds
this thing has only one facet and here's the cheat sheet,
both past and future, regrettable but fair.
Rule number one: no citation for the tautology.
Rule number two: try not to find any.

No comments: