15.3.06

The famous Ron Silliman said:

Wednesday, March 15, 2006
A member of my immediate family has been in a health crisis for some time now. One very minor (to me) side effect of this has been that I haven’t had the time – let alone psychic energy – to focus on the blog that I would have liked, especially over the past month. One of the things I’ve haven’t done much of is to keep track of comments streams as they emerge in response to different posts. The streams have almost always felt to me a lot like the bar conversation that might occur after a talk – interesting, sometimes valuable, but also sometimes only marginally related to the post itself. Each stream seems to have a life of its own – a perception I see borne out whenever a new post elicits very few comments while some storm is raging on another stream that’s a few days old.
By the time I noticed what was happening to the stream that accompanied my note on Barbara Jane Reyes’ Poeta en San Francisco one week ago Monday, the donnybrook was in full swing. Reading through all of the posts – including several that have subsequently been deleted by their authors (especially by Eileen Tabios), I’ve concluded that the brouhaha was inevitable the instant Lilac remarked “I meant that this poet isn't very striking metaphorically compared to her exotic look,” but that what was actually going on was much more than just a response to the implicit – but unmistakable – racism within that word “exotic” and by the shift in discourse from its focus on the poem to the poet. Exotic by definition is a positional term, and whatever is characterized by that adjective is consciously placed outside of whatever circle one is drawing.
By the time the verbal riot died down – it seems to have topped out at around 100 messages – things had gotten quite a bit uglier. There were multiple strains of argument, only one of which seems to me to have focused on the initial cause – the discomfort many readers seemed to feel at Reyes’ particular conjoining of the sacred & profane in the poem “[ave maria].” I’m persuaded, as I said in my original note, that this is a powerful poem, valuable in its own right, but the vehemence with which some others disagreed made me think that it may have been more powerful than I at least had anticipated, regardless of whether or not one found value there.
There were multiple comments in the polyphony of the stream that could be interpreted as racist, especially those made by Lilac, an Anglo woman living as a Muslim in Lebanon. Few of these – I won’t say none – were directed at Reyes & none struck me as intended to intimidate, instances where I might have thought about stepping in & deleting comments. Otherwise, when people make fools of themselves in the comments stream, I think it’s useful to leave the evidence alone for all to see.
One especially embarrassing stream-within-the-stream was a shouting match between Curtis Faville & Eileen Tabios, tho it’s impossible to read it now that Eileen has redacted her comments. Both may be surprised to discover that I think each is an important & valuable contributor to the poetry scene & that I suspect that the retired federal bureaucrat & wine connoisseur and the retired stock broker & Napa Valley vineyard owner would discover that they have a lot more in common than they can imagine, if they would but shut up & read each other’s work & words with an open mind. For one thing, both have made valuable contributions to the world of small press publishing – to which each seems quite dedicated – and neither seems at all concerned with “fitting in” to any old School of Quietude frame.
Why we expect the world of poetry to be any better than larger universe, I’m never quite sure. Clearly the poem, as such, can be a model of unalienated labor in a world where such examples are few & far in between. But among poets you will find progressives (many), reactionaries (some), & every step in between, including more than a few people whose political thinking, to the degree it exists at all, is simply a mess. This should not be news.
This blog has evolved over three and one-half years. If these notes represent my thinking of whatever subject happens to be at hand, the blogroll to the left has emerged as a service. When, as happened a few days ago, I screw up a single html character and blow away some portion of the list, I hear about it fairly quickly from people who use it as a method of finding various literary blogs. The comments stream is a service of a different order – I think there can be real value in that “bar conversation” and am not terribly concerned that steams go off on tangents at times. It would be great, tho, if people would just respect one another once they’re there & act accordingly.


Apparently, he doesn't read my blog either. What an arse.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lilac-- I know you already left the forum, but I thought you would appreciate the comment I left with Ron, partly in your defense.

***

It's very easy to be misunderstood with such a handful of words. I personally wouldn't be offended if someone referred to me as exotic. But I would be offended if someone referred to me as oriental. See, there's a big difference. Over the many years, "oriental" was clearly defined as being a pejorative and heavily racist term when used for Asians. But exotic? Anyone of any race can be exotic.

I do agree with Ron that if people just spent some time with each other to really hear each other out (without being soooo defensive) they will see just how much they have in common.

It's sad that even though the comments reached the 100th mark, people didn't really get much out of it. Some left with more fuel for their angst, some left hurt, some left insulted. In the end, I think it closed more minds than it opened.

Carmenisacat said...

Thank you and you've been so kind. You know, I could do without all the rest of the puffery on that board anyway. Most of it I don't even understand seeing as how I don't have a Master's degree in the fine art of writing. I think so many men there just like to read their own posts over and over ad nauseum without understanding a whit about poetry in the real sense called the real world. They are all after fame.

I am after something bigger. Understanding. I always have been and I truly regret that these people perceived my comment in a racist manner because it certainly wasn't intended that way. Nor were my many spellings of the word Phillipino, Pilipino, Filipino, tagalog and tegalog.

Sussie. Keys. All I know hahaha in that language.

Exotic. Little do they know that I am a real exotic rarity here in the Levant. Usually people think I am Russian and then, when they find out I'm an American they sometimes get nasty. I've been attacked physically (right after the Danish fiasco) by a group of young men who thought I was attacking a muslim woman (I don't cover my hair) when in fact, she was attacking me for blocking a driveway that didn't even look like a driveway. I told her sorry and she just kept yelling at me, etc. when these young men approached me and one grabbed me and started pushing me around. Talk about upsetting.

But truly...I thank you for your honesty on the blog. It meant so much to me and indeed, one supporter like you is worth a hundred others whether they be academics, Pulitzer Prize Winners or Kings. What makes me the happiest is that you called me tita. The Mexicans use "tia" for aunt (is that how you use it?) or sometimes, nana. So that is probably the biggest compliment I've had in some time.

Tita Um Ali.

This whole thing has brought me literally to tears. I keep swallowing them back and here I go again.

Thanks Lady because you are one.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you saved your vulnerability for your own blog, otherwise, they would have attacked you like the pack of wolves that they are. I am sorry that it was reduced to this. This was the first time I even learned of Silliman's blog and the reason why I joined in was because I didn't like how the other Asians were acting, which was *too* sensitive. And to the wrong things, too.

It's funny, the reason why I go by my name. And I'll tell you because you have been so honest and open with me...

I actually know Barbara Jane and those other Filipino poets/writers. Which means, I have seen both their public and private personas. Needless to say, I was disappointed in what I saw, but at the same time, it is why I cannot disclose who I really am. Of course, I am not a close friend, but I do run in their circles.

Even funnier, remember when I said I would have thought Eileen was white if I didn't know she was Asian, because of all her wine talk? I took a peek at her blog, and there she is raving mad that I insinuated she was a "banana"!! White on the inside and yellow on the outside!

But you know, rather than shoot back at her, I decided to just laugh at it. Because in the end, you have to know when to stop taking things seriously. I mean, look at the extreme she took it to, when all I was doing was making a point that it is not always about race, but about class, too. And if she wants to think I called her a "banana," then perhaps that is her own guilt talking.

Well, I'm going to start dinner now. I just want to say that it was really nice to "meet" you!

As exotic as exotic can be, but never offended-- grandisima


P.S. Your misspellings were actually endearing. Not offensive. Some people are just looking for trouble,

Carmenisacat said...

Thanks once again for your support and I TRULY appreciate your bravery and honesty.

I am however considering it libel because as a writer, I have to. Just about everything I write about has to do with ethnicity, religion, politics and gender. Sometimes I write a nice fluffy love poem but not very often.

What I write is quite serious. In fact, some of what I write could literally put me 'on a list' if you know what I mean or put my husband on an Al Qaeda list. How it is. I must be very careful. But this is libel. Ron Silliman has assisted and truly done the most damage. I felt the issue had been resolved (by me) when I agreed to accept the book if it was inscribed to Lita, the poor woman who was forced to have an abortion by the employment agency who contracted her to work here.

I have now refused that book sadly enough. It might have been that the entire book had validity, beauty and intelligence but at this point, the ethics of the author are simply too disturbing for me to ever consider reading it.

But thank you once again from the bottom of my heart. And to you, I am sorry to have to drag this in the dust for a while longer. I haven't received one word of apology from Mr. Silliman and it looks like I might have to consult with my friend who is a lawyer stateside. This kind of thing can ruin a person's career.