30.5.07

I've never seen Lebanon so solemn. It is as if everyone is either on their way to a funeral or on their way home from one. It is the same kind of feeling that one has just prior to taking a long journey.

Inflation is unbelievable. Shaving cream costs six dollars and cat food is cost prohibitive but Carmen still gets hers. Tyson disappeared three weeks ago in the slum and we imagined her to be struggling to stay alive near one of the many butcher shops but lo! she returned home yesterday to her loving adoptive owners and they gave my old cat a good meal and a de-lousing.

There is such a terrible sadness here. The air is still full of a toxic smell and resin.

It is truly healing to reconnoiter with our old stuff and people. It feels like the last day of school just prior to getting a report card. Fifth grade, my first F and I wanted to toss it into the mossy water in the ditch but I just couldn't do it.

Where to toss this Lebanon?

No comments: